Here are some facts of the day:
- Life expectancy for Americans is 78.37 years, ranking 50th among nations worldwide.
- The US ranks only 45th in infant mortality rates, worse than many nations that are actually much poorer.
- The US ranks #1 in healthcare expenses, spending 50% more than even the 2nd highest nation worldwide.
- American citizens spend 2.5 times more money on healthcare than on food.
- At current rates, healthcare costs will exceed 4.5 trillion by 2019 and if the trend continues further, account for almost 1/5 of our gross domestic product by 2025.
From How We Do Harm: A Doctor Breaks Ranks About Being Sick in America by Otis Webb Brawley, MD, with Paul Goldberg